Can8ianben's Blog

This is a blog about me. I'm sure it will at some point talk about the things that I love... that being, my wife Meredith, family, friends, EMU, the Jays and baseball, the Maple Leafs, music, art, TV, biking, and whatever else is going on in my mind.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

AYEKOOO! Black Stars


I'll admit that sometimes having dual citizenship makes me torn as to what side of the fense to sit. I love Canada for its people, health care, social systems, love of hockey, and many more things; while the USA has given me an education, a beautiful place to live, a job, a fiance, and other great things.

So when the largest sporting event happens, I guess it would make sense for me to support the only country from my background that actually made the tournament - however chearing U-S-A, U-S-A, is something I've never been able to make myself do. Maybe its the fact that I love chearing for the underdog, but if that were the case, they should be one of the teams I would pull for in the World Cup.

Anyway, this all to say that today I had a legitimate reason to chear against them. Another country from my life was playing against the red, white and blue. Ghana's Black Stars were victorious and moved on to the next round of the tournament - the victory sent the USA packing.

Its amazing how much pride I have for a the tiny nation which was my family's home for less than a full year. I'm sure that times have changed since I was last there, but listening to the game in my office made me smile at the thought of the remote village of Jenga sitting around the one or two black and white TVs, hooked up to car batteries, chearing on their countrymen to make them proud.

Not only did this strike me as an amazing acomplishment of "David and Goliath-like" proportions, but it was also Ghana's first ever trip to the world cup. So three cheers to Ghana, still in my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home