Can8ianben's Blog

This is a blog about me. I'm sure it will at some point talk about the things that I love... that being, my wife Meredith, family, friends, EMU, the Jays and baseball, the Maple Leafs, music, art, TV, biking, and whatever else is going on in my mind.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Weekend Update

Fantastic weekend, as most weekends are. The only downfall being that my fiance' is still in Germany (although she is probably having a blast, so its really not that bad).




First things first... MACRoCk 2006 started things off on Friday night. I ended up seeing several very good bands, my set list as far as I can tell went something like this:

Page France
Black Moth Super Rainbow (part of)
Pattern is Movement
Hail Social
Gym Class Heroes
Masta Ace (part of)
The Walkmen (part of)

A decent night. I was very impressed by Page France, and then by Gym Class Heroes. Both put on a great performance. Downfall was that we missed what many hailed as the best show of the weekend when Man Man played just before The Walkmen. Speaking of which, I felt that they weren't that captivating for what was supposed to be the headlining band for the festival.

Saturday's set list for me was much more subdued. While on Friday I ended up visiting 3 venues, I basically stuck with just one for most of the night. I also visited the label expo, but that was earlier in the day. So here is how it went:

Dear and Glorious Physician
The Snake The Cross The Crown
William Elliott Whitmore (pictured above)
Owen
Jonah (from One Line Drawing, etc.) (pictured below)

Very, very impressive sets from the final three solo artists. I was very taken with what they played, as well as what they performed.



Saturday also included a big meal at Taste of Thai with family who were in town for my sister Susanah's art gallery opening, and then of course my sister Susanah's art gallery opening :) It was great not only to see family, but also a very proud moment to see the amazing work that my sister has been doing. If you are on the EMU campus, head to the library art gallery before Easter to check it out.

Sunday was great, I was able to go to church with my parents, aunt Suz, and my sister Susanah. It was a beautiful day which was perfect for the two bicycle races I was then able to enter.


The first was the Harri-Roubaix. This is an annual tradition here in the valley. It is a bike race that happens in the spring on some of Harrisonburg's finest gravel roads. I chose to take my fixie because of it's wider tires and ended up paying the price. I didn't end up finishing as much as I would have liked, but it was a fantastic thing to be a part of.



The second race was the 5th installment of the Harrisonburg Alleycat series. It was a great day, but we only had about 15 people turn out. The race was short but sweet, as I ended up taking second place. I even ended up with some nice prizes!

All in all, a very good weekend! As I mentioned before, the only thing that could make it better was if Meredith was here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home