Can8ianben's Blog

This is a blog about me. I'm sure it will at some point talk about the things that I love... that being, my wife Meredith, family, friends, EMU, the Jays and baseball, the Maple Leafs, music, art, TV, biking, and whatever else is going on in my mind.

Friday, February 10, 2006

My Jays.


The Blue Jays took my heart in 1993. I specifically remember sitting on the couch with my buddy Mike Jones as Mitch Williams threw that memorable pitch that Joe Carter launched out of SkyDome to give the Blue Jays their second consecutive World Series title. It was at that moment that I became a true fan. I was only 11, but I knew without a doubt that day that the Jays were my favourite team and I would never chear for anyone else when watching them play.

I've seen my team many a time in Toronto. There was a week where I attended four games in a row, including three straight against the Cleveland Indians with my aunt. What is now known as the Rogers Centre, formerly the SkyDome, is one of my favourite places in this world to just hang out and socialize. To be realistic, the Dome is not one of the best parks in the Majors. It does have many amazing convienences and attributes that have been coppied all over baseball. But it is a multipurpose facility which lacks the character and quirkiness of the best parks in the game.

Since their last championship season baseball has had a labor dispute that cancelled the World Series and the team attendance has gone from setting league records over 4 million/season to dropping well below 2 million/season. The play on the feild has been less than thrilling as well. In the 11 seasons since 1993, the Blue Jays have only finished with more wins than losses 4 times, and have never finished higher than 3rd in the talented American League East.

This offseason has changed a few things in my mind and in the minds of many fellow Blue Jays fans. Managment and ownership have brought in much more talent, have increased the payroll, and have spent money on the ballpark. For the first time in a long time, baseball is being talked about in Toronto. What has become a franchise who believes that there is always next season has started talking about this season as being the one.

I'm excited. I'm anxious. I can't wait for it all to begin.

In most years, living in Virginia has restricted my ability to attend a game. This past year was the first time since 1992 that I did not attend a single game in Toronto. I was able to see the Jays play in DC against the Nationals, but that was it. This summer I'm already planning to head to see by boys play in Boston, and have hopes to see them play in Baltimore as well. We will have to see if I make it home for a game or two.

Go Jays Go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home