Can8ianben's Blog

This is a blog about me. I'm sure it will at some point talk about the things that I love... that being, my wife Meredith, family, friends, EMU, the Jays and baseball, the Maple Leafs, music, art, TV, biking, and whatever else is going on in my mind.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

a concert in the evening...

A very cool set put together by Panther, Glass Candy, and the headlining Architecture in Helsinki down at the historic Troubadour in Hollywood. All three bands seemed to be direct products of the 80s. All had some creative Atari-like samples running through their sound.

Panther was simply a drummer, a singer, and an iPod playing some really crazy stuff. The lead singer some kind of an echo effect making his lyrics sound very trippy. They were alright, but just not my style - I think I may be a traditionalist in the fact that you really need more than one instrument on stage to be a real band... meaning that I felt very similar about the second act.


Glass Candy was a female vocalist (who also used some kind of echo effect) and a guy with a keyboard and beat box. They did a lot of running on the spot much like I imagine bands of the 80s doing. They had a really creative sound, very dancy and poppy but again, I like a few more instruments to be appearing on stage.


Architecture in Helsinki played last and really rocked the house. As you can see by this picture the house really started to fill up by this time (Panther probably played to about 50 people). This band has a lot of energy. They like to switch instruments and places on stage quite a bit and have both a male and female singer. It makes for a very captivating show. While they do use quite a bit of sampled music, they also have at times a few guitars (acoustic, electric, bass), a trombone, drums (full set, bongos, electronic), and two different keyboards.


All in all, a great night. The Troubadour is a pretty intimate setting. You can tell it's been around forever. There are two small balconies and a very tiny floor with a raised stage. Seems like there are no bad seats in the house as I moved around quite a bit. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back there someday.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger petesalibi said…

    sounds awesome- if only more artists would realize that the 80s really were the best decade for music (is that Michael Kennel's troubled sigh I hear?)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home